Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Which one are You?

I consider myself a protective Mother. But when I look at the pictures I took of my oldest son jumping his bike I have mixed feelings. On one hand I'm like, Whoa nice jump.........then I say........ why did you let him jump his bike AND take pictures of it?




So ,I'm torn between my own two worlds. I let me kids do things that to others may seem risky. And I don't let them do things that some people think are silly, like ride their bikes on the sidewalk in front of the house. Now don't get me wrong , I'm not putting my 8 yr old on a dirt bike and race around the woods. But I do let him drive, their most prized possession, a go cart. OK ...It has a roll cage and seat belts...


I think that we all allow our kids to do as much as we would do ourselves. If you are the type of person that would never even want to jump a bike then you may not let your children try it either. I believe that we parent within our own limitations. Meaning that if I am uncomfortable with the situation that I will naturally limit my children in the same situation. I would love to jump on that bike.
Is that because we have had a negative experience in that situation or are afraid of our children having a negative experience at all?
Take the corners fast and ride hard but wear your helmet!

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhh, let me think......ahhhhh,oh yeah, I know what I am. I am the UBER worrier. The protective one.

    ReplyDelete